Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter

Easter in Sweden was a little different than Easter in America. I mean first of all there was no sightings of anyone in either Lilly Pulitzer or seersucker all day but don't worry, I got my fix through all the posts on Instagram.

In the morning, Kate made me french toast because lent was finally over!

Look at that sliced white bread.


Sorry, but I started eating before I took a photo.

The weather was great outside so for church Kate and I didn't wear anything on our legs! It was the first time in months. We know our legs are pale; I mean we are living in Sweden where the sun is gone for most of the year so what do you suspect.


Kate really excited for church on the train.
She ain't even Catholic!

Another difference between Swedish Easter and American Easter is church. Kate and I arrived a half an hour early because of the train times. However, in America you need to arrive a half an hour early or more to make sure you get a parking spot and a seat. Also, most Swedes do not attend church even on major holidays so that being said the pews were not filled up.

To pass the time before the service started and before people started showing up, Kate and I explored and found a horse statue to pose with.

Here you go moms, some nice Easter photos of your daughters.



When we got back home, Kate took a nap and I tanned outside. Fast forward three hours, Kate is still napping and I am getting skin cancer.

Kate, Gunilla, and Johan got to meet my parents via skype! Yes, my mom did start crying.

For dinner, we feasted on some fish and eggs to start with then we had ham for the main course.


Kate being a vegetarian dined on some super salty rice.
It was so awful.
She made me try it.

I know I am super cute but I had to share this photo because I legitimately got burnt on only on one side of my right arm, no where else.

After dinner, Kate and I went on a bike ride. Johan mentioned we could bike around the lake which was near the Jöhnemark's which got me thinking...


...if we are going to be near the Jöhnemark's why not stop by and wish them a happy Easter?! However, we didn't want to be rude and interrupt their dinner so we sneaked around the house to see if we could see they were eating.

Kate getting excited because we were back!


They were at the dining room table but we were not sure if they were still eating or not so instead of knocking on the door, we started jumping on the trampoline. It took them awhile to realize we were outside. William was the first one to notice and later Lena told us he said, "McKenzie and Kate are jumping on the trampoline right now!". No one believed him and he replied with, "You do not have to believe me but I am going out". It was hilarious. Kate and I totally took them by surprise!

The Jöhnemark's have a new pet; a monkey!

What would be a visit to the Jöhnemark's without some apple pie?!?


As I was getting my apple pie, I started laughing because I realized Gunilla and Johan were at home thinking Kate and I were riding our bikes around the lake getting some exercise. Lena snapped a photo of Kate and I and sent it to Gunilla saying something about two girls biking!

When we got back to the von Perner's, Kate skyped her family and I got to meet them. Her dad makes the best comments.

Look how happy she looks!


It is true, during exchange you miss your family and friends more around the holidays. Easter isn't as family oriented as Christmas but on Sunday I longed for my family more than I ever have since being in Sweden. Just the whole feeling of making breakfast, getting dressed up, going to church, and relaxing in the sun without them made me realize how much I miss my dad and his famous crepes, my sister helping me pick out my Easter dress, my mom scratching my arm in church, and enjoying the spring weather with my friends.

2 comments:

  1. Mr Ed will be honered to have made your blog. I can hear him now. #@^hole

    ReplyDelete