Thursday, May 1, 2014

Valborg

Every year on the 30th of April, Swedes gather around massive bonfires, sing songs, and welcome the emerging Spring.

To start the Valborg festivities, my friends and I traveled to Uppsala to watch the famous boat race and have a picnic.

(I am sorry in advance for my photos, I realized halfway through the day that there was a smudge on my camera lens.)











My favorite photo from the whole day!


Rinsing off the strawberries.








Linda realizing that I actually have to go home to America :(

Also, Valborg is the day the graduates get to wear their student caps for the first time. We got to watch a ceremony of students waving their caps in the air then placing them on their head.


Even past graduates joined in.




We had a great relaxing afternoon in Uppsala but we had to make our way back to Täby for family dinners.

Johan's cousin and his family came for dinner. His wife is American.



After dinner, I went to Kelly's house to meet up with her and the girls. We went to the local bonfire however it was dying down plus it started raining so we did not stay long. I slept over at Kelly's. When we woke up, she opened the blinds and said "No... !". I knew exactly why. It had snowed in the night. Welcome to Swedish Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment